Marlin 5 is a trail-worthy daily rider that's perfectly suited for everyday adventures, on and off the trail. A front suspension fork with 100mm of travel, 21 speeds, and mounts for a rack and kickstand make it an ideal choice for new trail riders or anyone looking for a comfortable, stable commuter with the ruggedness of a real mountain bike.
It's right for you if...
You're new to the trail and want a serious mountain bike that doubles as a commuter—and you want it all at an exceptional value.
The tech you get
A lightweight Alpha Silver Aluminum frame, 21 speeds, a wide range of gearing so you never need to pedal too hard or easy on terrain that varies in elevation, hydraulic disc brakes that feel smoother than mechanical disc brakes, and a suspension fork with 100mm of travel—that's the same amount favored by most cross-country racers.
The final word
Built-in Trek's MTB heritage, and more than capable of taking on trail adventures. But it's also versatile. It's a popular ride on college campuses because the rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize and haul a load.
Why you'll love it
- It's a real mountain bike that's also perfectly suited to daily commutes, rides around campus, or just getting from A to B on any surface
- Smaller frame sizes (13.5" and 15.5") have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- It has separate brake and shift levers (a feature that's common on more expensive mountain bikes) so you can fine-tune the positioning for comfort
- Rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty
|Alpha Silver Aluminum, internal derailleur, dropper post and brake routing, chainstay brake mount, rack & kickstand mount, G2 Geometry on 29ers
|SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel (13.5: 80mm travel)
|1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
|Bontrager Connection 32-hole double-walled
|Front: Formula DC20 alloyRear: Formula DC31 alloy
|Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.0" rear (13.5 & 15.5: 27.5x2.20")
|Shimano Tourney TY301
|Sealed cartridge, 73mm
|Shimano Tourney TY300
|Shimano Tourney TY300
|Shimano TZ500, 14-28, 7 speed
|Shimano Altus M310, 7 speed
|Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 720mm width (13.5: 690mm width)
|Bontrager XR Endurance Comp
|Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 7 degree, Blendr compatible
|Tektro HD-275 hydraulic disc (13.5 & 15.5: Tektro HD-276 short reach lever)
|VP-536 nylon platform
|Bontrager alloy, 2-bolt head, 31.6mm, 12mm offset
* Subject to change without notice.